Rechercher dans ce blog

Thursday, January 20, 2022

The Dish: Jacobs Making the Most of his Minutes - CSURams.com

foody.indah.link

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Fans like to focus on the starters, but in college basketball, that particular lineup isn't always the most pertinent one to gaze upon.
 
In a tight game, it's the five on the floor in the clutch who make the difference, and more often than not for Colorado State's men's basketball team, Chandler Jacobs is one of those Rams. His performance Wednesday night against New Mexico made the transfer crucial.
 
In an 80-74 Mountain West victory, Jacobs did a little of this, a tad of that and put big numbers in some key columns. Even some fans won't see, such as being a defensive disturbance against a Lobo squad which plays freewheeling on the offensive end.
 
"He just keeps coming on. I thought his presence defensively helped change the game for us, and 10 rebounds again, his ability to rebound the ball and defend," CSU head coach Niko Medved said. "He's getting more and more comfortable offensively, and he knocks down his free throws for us. His role just continues to grow and he's just playing better and better. I thought he was terrific at times here tonight."
 
He filled his stat line against the Lobos, producing the first double-double of his CSU career. He scored 12 points, two of them crucial free throws late in the game. He pulled down 10 rebounds, as that part of his game is really starting to live up to the declaration he made to David Roddy when first arriving on campus.
 
Jacobs told him he liked to rebound, and lately, he really has. His average sits at 3.9 per game, but in the past three contests, it has more than doubled to 8.7, grabbing nine against Utah State and seven on the road at San Jose State. And four of his rebounds case off the offensive glass, extending possessions.
 
But deep down, Roddy said his new teammate brings a bit of everything to the floor, especially an infusion of energy as he comes off the bench as part of a line change of four players, generally about five or six minutes into the opening half.
 
"A bunch of energy. He's an outgoing guy," said Roddy, who led the Rams with 21 and finished with six rebounds. "Off the court, he's an amazing human being, and on the court, he brings a lot of energy, as well. The first thing he told me was I love rebounding, so I was like, man, that's crazy to hear. I love it. He got his double-double tonight, which I'm super proud of him for. He's been talking about it for a while. It was going to happen in due time."
 
Jacobs produced a block at a key moment. A steal, too, and he really locked down defensively.
 
Better yet, he's really locked into his role. While he's made it appear seamless, it did require some adjustment on his part. One has to remember he was the star attraction at Dallas Baptist, scoring more than 20 points per game. He could dictate what shots he wanted and when.
 
"I think after being a starter for so long, coming off the bench again was a different adjustment, but it's one I've really, really loved, and I really enjoy my role, so I appreciate it," Jacobs said. "My prior years I wasn't super-efficient in terms of the opportunities I had to attack, because I had a plethora of them, so it was like I could take as many dribbles as I wanted, I could do whatever I wanted. But playing with better players and playing in a more structured offense I would say, there's a better shot available. At my old school, I made shots, but I also took tough shots. I think now it's just about taking the shot that's good for the team and not just for yourself."
 
What's made it work is his attitude. Roddy talked about the person he is, and so too does Medved. He's the furthest thing from selfish, and has been since he first arrived.
 
Medved knew he was adding a very athletic and long player to the lineup, one who could provide a spark in multiple ways. There was never any worry about him adjusting to his minutes, because of the type of person he is, which is rather introspective and team oriented.
 
"I think you're seeing that. He knew that was a possibility when he came here," Medved said. "He's just such a mature young man. He's dominating his role; he's trying to be a star in the role he has, and he's making a difference, and he knows that, he's feeling that. I think he's really thriving on that. I don't think he's really concerned at all about starting, he just really wants to have a role to help our team, and I think we're seeing it."
 
The really good players maximize the minutes they get, no matter when they come. It could be from the very tip, but it's even more crucial at the end when the game is in the balance. He may not start, but Jacobs is showing his new team is more that capable of finishing.
 
Print Friendly Version

Adblock test (Why?)



"dish" - Google News
January 20, 2022 at 01:13PM
https://ift.tt/3Aio1ZZ

The Dish: Jacobs Making the Most of his Minutes - CSURams.com
"dish" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2MXZLF4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Dish & Sling Sue 'Pirate' IPTV Operation For Circumventing Widevine DRM - TorrentFreak

foody.indah.link With more ways to stream online video than ever before, protecting video continues to be a key issue for copyright holder...

Popular Posts